MNTB publications include a range of Training Record Books (TRBs) covering rating and officer cadet training across deck, engine room and electro-technical disciplines as well as specialised training for tanker endorsements and certificates of proficiency.
For new entrant training
The MNTB Training Record Books for deck, engineering and electro-technical specialisms are available to companies and organisations that provide sponsorship for MNTB approved education and training programmes. They are also available to educational establishments, who will provide them to officer trainees and seafarers on their programmes. They cannot be purchased direct by trainees or seafarers themselves.
Companies and educational establishments who wish to place an order should sent an email purchase order, quoting requirements, invoice and delivery details direct to MNTB via this email. The cost per copy is £35.00 plus VAT.
For existing seafarers
Training Record Books for existing seafarers are available directly from Witherby Seamanship publications, covering electro-technical competency requirements, tanker endorsements and certificates of proficiency and Small Vessel Engineers. They include:
- Electro-Technical Officer Competency Record (ETO CR). Copies are priced at £50.00 plus VAT for UK Chamber of Shipping members and £70.00 plus VAT for non-members
- Shipboard Training Record Book for Tanker Endorsements or Certificate of Proficiency, priced at £50.00 plus VAT per copy or £200.00 plus VAT for the set of five books
- Training Record Book – Second Engineer (less than 9000kW, less than 3000GT, priced at £30.00 plus VAT per copy. Available to order by approved MCA training providers only.
- Chemical Tankers
- Liquefied Gas Tankers (LNG)
- Liquefied Gas Tankers (LPG)
- Oil Tankers
- Chemical (Vegetable Oil) Tankers
Our short course criteria booklets cover STCW requirements, industry specific training needs and certain other industry training requirements.
The MNTB, in conjunction with the MCA, has developed the required STCW ‘short course criteria’ specification documents. These are required for approval of training under the IMO Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW), 1978, as amended, and those required by the International Ship and Port facility Security (ISPS) Code 2003 Edition. In addition, course criteria have been developed for non-mandatory courses that meet specific industry needs.
The criteria are contained in a series of booklets, which cover the STCW 2010 Manila amendments, plus non-STCW training required by industry. They are available for purchase direct from Witherby Seamanship publications either as an electronic document or printed booklet.
Please note: approval to deliver STCW ‘short course’ training must be sought from the MCA.
MNTB course criteria booklets:
- Course Criteria for Service on Ships Operating in Polar Waters. Basic and advanced training for ships operating in polar waters – £40
- Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) Simulator Training – £40.00
- Fire Courses Criteria (Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FP&FF); FP&FF Updating Training Requirements; Tanker Fire Fighting Requirements; Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF); AFF Updating Training Requirements) – £40.00
- First Aid and Medical Courses Criteria (Proficiency in Elementary First Aid; Proficiency in Medical First Aid; Proficiency in Medical Care; Medical Care Updating Training Requirements) – £40.00
- Global Marine Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) Courses Criteria (General Operator’s Certificate (GOC); Restricted Operator’s Certificate (ROC)) – £40.00
- High Voltage Courses Criteria (Operational and Management Levels) – £40.00
- Human Element Leadership and Management (Operational and Management Levels) – £60.00
- Navigational Aids and Equipment Simulator Training (NAEST) (Operational Level; Management Level; Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA) Training, Small Ships Navigation and Radar Course) – £40.00
- Passenger Ship Courses Criteria (Crowd Management Training; Safety Training Requirements for Personnel Providing Direct Service to Passengers in Passenger Spaces; Proficiency in Crisis Management and Human Behaviour Training; Proficiency in Passenger Safety, Cargo Safety and Hull Integrity Training for Ro-Ro Passenger Ships) – £40.00
- Safety Courses Criteria (Proficiency in Personal Safety and Social Responsibility (PSSR); Entry into Enclosed Spaces Training (non-STCW requirement); Shipboard Safety Officer Training (non-STCW requirement)) – £40.00
- Security Courses Criteria (Proficiency in Security Awareness; Proficiency for Seafarers with Designated Security Duties; Proficiency for Ship Security Officers (SSO); Company Security Officer Training (non-STCW requirement)) – £40.00
- Ships Using Fuels Covered within the IGF Code – £40.00
- Survival Courses Criteria (Personal Survival Techniques (PST); PST Updating Training Requirements; Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (other than Fast Rescue Boats) (PSC&RB); PSC&RB Updating Training Requirements; Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB); PFRB Updating Training Requirements) – £40.00
- Tanker Training Courses Criteria (Basic Training for Oil and Chemical, Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations; Advanced Training for Oil, Chemical and Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations) – £40.00
- A Standard for Seafarers’ Mental Health Awareness and Wellbeing Training – £10.00